Star Wars: Jedi Survivor Review! (PS5, No Major Spoilers)

 The Middleman's Opinion Presents:

Star Wars: Jedi Survivor Review! (PS5, No Major Spoilers)


Performance:

Considering the game has had most of its criticism focused on the performance, I decided to discuss this first. It's no shock at this point that a lot of AAA games are releasing in broken PC ports and it's very sad to see. The PC performance leaves a lot to be desired and needs a lot of work. On PS5 however the performance is fairly inconsistent but at the least playable. Most of the time you will be at around 45-50fps, mainly in the open planetary areas such as free roam on your second planet, or in scenes where there's a lot of effects happening at once such as the tutorial levels. EA & Respawn have came out and stated there will be many patches in the coming weeks to fix these issues so it's all we have to go on. In the more linear and smaller more closed off areas run at a steady 60fps without any issues. Fortunately PS5 doesn't seem to suffer from shader cache stutter which is probably because it only needs to precompile the shaders for one set of hardware per console, instead of hundreds of different pc parts. Generally speaking it's easier to optimize games for consoles even if PC's have a higher potential for the maximum performance. 

Story:

The story in this game is a pretty huge step down from Jedi Fallen Order in my honest opinion. It was really good for what it was however Jedi Fallen Order was significantly more gripping in its rich storytelling whilst in Jedi Survivor I felt quite disconnected from the plot and its characters. Certain things didn't really make sense to me and it impacted how I feel about it overall. That said I did enjoy the story, it was fun and above all entertaining. I enjoyed certain sub-plots within the game and how certain characters interacted with each other.

Gameplay: 

The gameplay is by far the most gripping element of this game for me. It plays just like Jedi Fallen Order but it was greatly improved upon in some ways. The combat for example is easily recognizably so much more fluid, it flows really well and it's simply amazing. This in contrast with the games different difficulty selections make for a really good feeling experience. It's not insanely hard by any means but it won't hold your hand if you play on harder difficulties. Which is always a nice touch!

The major downside of the gameplay is the pacing at which you arrive on new planets and how little planets there actually are. Since the two main planets in the story you will visit are extremely large, there is far less planets in this title and they all feel really boring. As if I've seen them all before in other games, except these planets feel even more generic. I never really found myself wanting to explore them outside of being well adverse in the Star Wars lore behind these various planets. 

There is also quite a lot of game-breaking bugs that can suck you out of the experience. I had a few that caused me to reload my save and others that required me to complete puzzles or scripted segments at awkward camera angles. It was quite annoying and unacceptable but fortunately far and few between. In all my 15 or so hours of playing I only experienced around 5 bugs. 

The puzzles are a really good addition to the game and I'm really glad they don't just rely on your force abilities. They use a lot less logic ad are more casual oriented. Anyone who has played Portal will instantly be a master of these puzzles. They're challenging enough but not too hard.  

Conclusion: 

I can recommend this game if you were a fan of Jedi Fallen Order, whilst the story can feel quite bland at times and the exploration doesn't feel all that rewarding, it's all a really fun game and still quite good. Not as good as Jedi Fallen Order but a really solid sequel to an already amazing game. If you would rather wait for the performance and bugs to be fixed that is entirely understandable and beyond justified. I give this game a solid 7.5/10. 

You can find my socials below.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tron Identity: A Fun Visual Novel That's Too Short

I'm returning soon! - 3/26/2024